My Daughter

My Daughter

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

High School Life

My school days were not a bundle of laughs. I went to rather strict girls’ grammar school in the 90s, where the often ferocious teachers wore tweeds, brogues, and stiff, grim hairstyles with the occasional grey sausage curls. I did have some best friends, but not in the main. 


I find it impossible to say what the “happiest days of my life” were, since I know that perspective on the past is impossibly distorted by the present, and that the span of time is so great and the complications so numerous, it makes even making a guess an activity verging on the spurious.



School days for me were like the rest of my life since, a mixture of the pleasurable and the torturous. The pleasurable parts are easy enough to identify – the commonality of being part of a group, the simple fun of being young, advertised by the precocious girls of the fifth and sixth forms.

No comments: